Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Easter (Menu)



I began this blog before the holiday, but between cleaning the house for company, preparing a meal, and getting a 55 gallon fish tank set up in our living room (because, why not?) this is more retrospective.


I'm preparing an Easter dinner for my family today, so all I have to share today is the menu:

Appetizers

I staffed it out mostly, because you should try to not worry about at least one course of a meal.

Deviled Eggs

It's on theme and my mother-in-law does a killer job of them. They're simple and tasty; no minced scallions or obscure seasoning, just enhanced eggy goodness.

Dip and Bread

We are those people who buy dry dip mixes at regional festivals, so this seemed a good time to break one out. These usually are mixed with mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, or a combination thereof. The contents of the plastic baggy you mix in are just flavored excuses to eat something smooth and creamy (with a good bit of sodium), so don't over think it. For bread, I sliced a challah loaf toasted a white batard. I consider this staffing it out, because my partner took care of the dip and the bread took me five minutes.

Random Snack

I think appetizers—and maybe dessert, maybe—are the place to embrace hodgepodge. A guest asked what she could bring. I told her we were having dip and deviled eggs and to do what she would from there. Low expectations and no chance of disappointment for anyone; it was yummy!

Salad

I strongly considered a spinach and strawberry salad, but I decided to pass on that. I served iceberg lettuce wedges with a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing that came out more like a homemade buttermilk dill dressing because I never account well for the use of dry herbs instead of fresh; even when I think I'm scaling back I'm heavy handed. Served with a diced tomato garnish it was pretty on crystal dishes, but as I ate it I felt that it looked like I was too lazy to tear lettuce for a salad so I just made a few cuts and stopped. Ah, well: it was easy, and the dressing was made the day before. Good enough, I say!

Main Course

Sugar Cured Ham. Done! I believe in serving them at room temperature to really taste the play of sugar and pork. I was underwhelmed by the brand I used this year, so I'll go back to old reliable next time. Either way, a main course that takes five minutes to plate (and that's it) can't be too bad. I have basted my own ham before, but I found the professionals (aka, a pork factory) does the job just fine. Also, can we just save ourselves the hassle some times? My mother offered to buy a ready to serve ham for me—she didn't know I had already purchased one—just to make my life easier. Seriously folks, these things make the day so much better.

Side Dishes

Scalloped Potatoes

I would usually make Julia Child's Gratin Dauphinois. I made the recipe from America's Test Kitchen instead, which can be easily made the day before (so can Julia's, actually) and makes a thicker casserole that would serve more from a single oven dish. I was uncertain of the choice until I saw the authors' note cautioning substituting half-and-half or milk for the cream; then I realized they took the dish seriously. I made it a little thyme heavy (see note about me and dry herbs), but I liked it.

Oven roasted parsnips and multicolored carrots.

I'm pretty new to parsnips, but this is lovely. Peel, slice, toss with olive oil and salt, and shove them in the oven. They're pretty on the table and tasty.

Green Beans, from a can.

I served blanched haricot vert (thin, French green beans) last year, which I enjoyed. It would have been a little more trouble than I really had time for and only a few of us enjoyed it last time. This year I was just getting a green on the table; leave me alone.

Bread

King's Hawaiin Rolls
Let me explain! They are in a bag. All I have to do is toss them in a bowl to serve. Also, the sweetness works well with the meal and will be lovely for mini-sandwiches the week after. Lastly, a small confession, I care little about bread at meals. A hot baguette and cold butter with a white wine and maybe fruit or strong cheese is one thing, but bread on the side of my plate usually gets little notice from me.

Dessert

Nana Kate's Lemon Cake

Many people call it a poke cake, but I only know it as Nana Katee's Lemon Cake. This, dear reader, is my reward for the meal. It's moist, sweet, lemony, and my breakfast for the next three days. I think it actually fits with the time of year and the meal, but I don't care; this one's for me.

Brownies

I bought what looked like a decent boxed mix that also had the virtue of a middling price. I liked the choice even more as my partner made it the day before. They turned out well, so that's nice (not that I'm a brownie fan).

In short, I am ever trying to put on a meal that makes the day special without killing me in the process. I call today a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment